The insurance industry has formed an independent body called the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) to pro-actively help potential claimants find their employers’ liability insurer when they have suffered injury or disease. By collating information on employers’ liability insurance policies in a central database, ELTO will improve the effectiveness of finding the correct employers’ liability insurer in the event of a claim.

Brokers should submit the correct Employer Reference Number (ERN) when requesting a quotation. If the ERN is not available at this stage, brokers should provide Corin with the correct ERN within 7 days after inception of the policy.

I am a Corin policyholder. How does this affect me?

If you have an employers’ liability insurance policy with Corin, your broker will need to provide us with your unique Employer Reference Number (ERN), which is also referred to as the ‘PAYE reference’. It usually takes the form of a 3 digit HMRC office number followed by a reference number unique to your business (it appears on most correspondence you receive from HMRC and is also used on P60s/P45s that are issued to your employees).

Once we receive this information from your broker, we submit the information to the ELTO which publishes the ERN number on its website, which can be accessed by the public.

I am a claimant (or a claimant’s representative) and I’m searching for an insurer to make a claim against. What should I do?

If you wish to make a claim for an injury at work but you are unsure of the identity of the employer’s insurer, you can search the ELTO website here: http://www.elto.org.uk

For any general queries regarding ELTO, please contact us at elto@corin.com